Search Krista Horton

Kollyns Drew Makes Her Debut

Hi sweets! I just got our disc back from our newborn session and looking through these pictures of my itty bitty babe made me want to write ...

Hi sweets! I just got our disc back from our newborn session and looking through these pictures of my itty bitty babe made me want to write a post on her birth story! This little blog isn't just a place to show off some of my favorite things, it's a place for memories to be saved. I didn't have a blog back in the day when Boss man was born so I may just have to do a post on his birth story as well. I can't do one without the other, that just isn't fair ;)

It was four weeks weeks ago to the day that our little Kollyns Drew came into this world. This little babe is so amazing and I can't imagine life without her! The day before she was born, I went to my doctor's appointment for a normal 38 week checkup. My mom had told me she wanted to come with me which I told her there was no need since those appointments are so boring and quick but she insisted and I'm so thankful she did because we ended up being at the doctor's office for four hours that day! When they checked my vitals, my blood pressure was a little elevated. Of course, that's always a worry so my doctor wanted to do a few tests to check on Kollyns and make sure everything was okay. I got my blood drawn and then went in for a stress test. Kollyns wasn't moving so they gave me a juice and some crackers and we got some movement from her. They checked my blood pressure again and it was back down so we passed this test! Next, I went in for an ultrasound. Kollyns' breathing and my amniotic fluid all looked great but again, Kollyns wasn't moving a ton. Just small, subtle movements. The ultrasound tech was concerned and told my doctor. My doctor called me in and told me she felt it was best to induce me that day. I was a little uneasy because I didn't want to be induced at all but I trust my doctor and I just wanted to make sure Kollyns was okay.

I showed up to the hospital at 5:00 p.m. that day and they hooked me up and started to monitor Kollyns and me. Both of our vitals were great and my doctor came in an hour later and said she wanted to send me home. I was all for it! I was 38 weeks pregnant and she said they don't like to induce you until 39 weeks unless they need to and since we were doing so great, there was no need to induce. I was pretty excited and ready to go home! Low and behold, five minutes later, my doctor came back in and said, "hold on, lets do one more ultrasound to check on her movement". Ahhh, I was so close to going home! Hooked me up to the ultrasound machine and once again, Kollyns would not move! I had felt her doing some movement throughout the day but it wasn't a ton and for her not to move for the whole ultrasound really worried them. So, as you can guess, they wouldn't let me leave and decided to go forward with the induction.

I was finally given Cervidil at 10:00 p.m. that night and holy cow, the contractions kicked in right away! They had told me it usually starts to really kick in about six hours after you get it and that it stays in for 12 hours and some people have to get two doses of it. I was like whaaaaat?! That seemed like so long to me! The nurses also told me inductions could take 2-3 days and that just really stressed me out. I did not realize it was such a long process. Well, this wasn't going to be the case for me. Four hours into getting the Cervidil, they decided to take it out because I was contracting like crazy. They decided it was too much for me so they wanted to see what my body would do without it. And my body did exactly what it needed to, kept on contracting! Nurses kept coming in and telling me they were watching me out on the monitor because I wasn't catching a break. It was intense! I was so uncomfortable and did not like the feeling at all! When I got up to go to the bathroom, I got the chills and uncontrollable shakes and had no idea what was happening to me. The next time I got up, the same thing happened to me and then I threw up a few times. This was no fun and I was so miserable. The nurses tried checking me two different times to see how much I was dilated but it was the worst pain of my life and my body kept kicking back and wouldn't let them fully check me. They told me I could only get six doses of pain meds throughout this process so I was spacing them out as much as I could because I didn't want to run out if it was only going to get worse. The pain meds would kick in right away and I would fall asleep but it only lasted about 45 minutes and I would be right back where I started, in major pain!

My doctor came in around 8:00 or 9:00 that morning and checked me. I was at a two and she decided I should get my epidural then (even though they normally don't give it to you until you're at a four) since my contractions were so intense. The epidural was in within the hour and I was in heaven! It's crazy how quickly your mood changes after getting that! I was relaxed and so relieved! Within an hour, I was already to a five and within an hour after that, I was to a seven! Thankfully, I was progressing really quickly! They called my doctor and she said she would be there soon to break my water. Before she could make it back, my water broke on it's own and I was to a ten! Woohoo! They asked if I felt like I needed to push but I didn't feel the urge so they said they would let me wait a little bit longer so that I wouldn't have to push as much. My contractions started getting to the point where the nurses said I needed to push so within a few pushes and a snip, Kollyns was here! Born August 12, 2015 at 1:59 p.m., weighing 7 pounds 1 ounce, and measuring 20 1/4 inches long. She was so perfect in every way!

My doctor said I bled a lot more than normal but Kollyns and I were both healthy so she wasn't worried. She was just very glad we did the induction and got her out when we did since something was obviously wrong. She sent my placenta to pathology to see if she could learn something from my experience. I haven't received the results yet but I'm sure I will hear about them at my six week checkup.

This was such a different experience than my birth story with Boston which just goes to show you that every pregnancy and delivery can be so different! My experience with Boston was so quick and amazing but I do feel like this experience was pretty dang good considering the circumstances. I just feel so lucky to have a healthy baby, no matter how she got here! I'm also so thankful for my supportive husband, parents and sisters for helping me through those tough hours. I couldn't imagine having to go through that alone!

Here's some pictures from our newborn session with Courtney McLemore (@dearjudephotography). She did the shoot in our home and I'm so in love with the realness of them all! Boston had just woke up from a nap and was so cranky! All he wanted to do was carry around his trucks and book and pout! And little miss Kollyns decided to be awake for most of the shoot when we would have rather her slept but Courtney is so good that it didn't matter! There was 66 images and it was so hard for me to narrow them down so I didn't overload you with all of them! Hope you all love them as much as I do!




You Might Also Like


  1. Congratulations, what a beautiful baby and beautiful family! Love reading your blog! Would you mind sharing where you found her floral hat and swaddle? Its so precious. I'm expecting a daughter (named Rose) next month and would love to have that for her! Feel free to email me at katy lukes at gmail dot com. Thank you and congratulations! Such a wonderful time!

    1. Thank you so much! And a big congrats to you! That's so exciting! I've always loved the name Rose (it's my grandmas)! The swaddle and beanie set is from weelittlenuggs (they have an etsy shop and are on Instagram and Facebook).

  2. That was not an average birth story... I am so glad you are all alright! I love these pictures! How do you keep your home so tidy with a toddler around?! Hugs, Eszter @zoardminiboy

    1. Thank you so much Eszter! It was definitely a crazy time! Regarding the house, I literally follow him around most of the time cleaning up his path! I'm a little bit of a freak! I've been trying out this new thing where I only pick up his toys at nap time and bedtime so that I'm not doing it all day and stressing out! It helps me to get some extra snuggles in with Kollyns instead of cleaning all day!

  3. Oh my goodness! First of all I want to wish you all a huge congratulations on the birth of your beautiful Lil angel! She is a Doll ��! And second, I am so Happy that your doctors decided to do an ultra sound before letting you leave. Sadly our beautiful daughter "Elleann Louise" was Still Born at 39 weeks pregnant. And I wish every single day that on my doctors appointment that Tuesday that I would have pushed more for an Ultra sound because I told him she wasn't moving hardly at all. And she was by far my most active baby inside me. Sadly that Friday I just had a gut feeling I needed to go to the ER in the OB dept. and just get checked. I had told my husband to stay home with our two youngest boys at that time. Because I knew how long our ER took for getting in. Little did I know that I would here those 5 words "No Parent Should Ever Have to hear".....
    "I'm so sorry, there's no heartbeat!" I was in complete shock and denial and screaming and crying and everything after that was a blur. I remember my family all rushing up to the hospital and my husband laying over me bawling his eyes out with me. We miss her so much and long to be with her every day. But we have strong faith that we will hold her in our arms again one day and never have to let her go. And until then, we know she is Alwayd with us in spirit. She was so Sadly Still Born at 39 weeks pregnant because she had knotted her umbilical cord with 3 tight knots and had it wrapped around her feet like a figure 8. The doctor that ended up having to do my c-section (because she was so tangled up that she wouldn't descend into my pelvis for a vaginal delivery) had said that in her 25 years in practice she has never seen a baby with so many tight knots and with such a long umbilical cord. And that she was tangled up for sometime. But with every movement she just kept pulling them tighter and tighter ��. I preach now to all mamas to be that if they have a gut feeling that something might not be right to always go in and get checked. And to ALWAYS count all kicks and movement. And if it lessons to get checked immediately.

    Your family photos are so beautiful and so perfect hunny! I know all mommies want thier kids to cooperate and have the perfect photos. But to me, these are perfect and just goes to show your true life and memories you will cherish forever! Boston is so cute and he reminds us so much of our four boys. And your daughter is such a doll! She is perfect! We are so happy for you all! Congratulations and I'm truly so happy to have found your page and blog! I love it and your an amazingly beautiful mama as well! Take care! And Much Love From our family to yours!

    1. My heart just broke for you mama :( I am SO incredibly sorry you had to go through that. I can never imagine the heartache a parent goes through in a situation like that. It's just not fair. God apparently needed your little angel for bigger things! Thank you for sharing such a hard and intimate moment with me. I'm so glad you have such a wonderful family and a big heart. I'm sure that got you through that and continues to get you through each day. You are so incredibly sweet and thoughtful and I thank you so much for your kind words! We need more people like you in this world!


Stay In The Know